Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Protect Our Children Act

While I don't agree with everything "Oprah" from time to time there are things she supports that I can be passionate about as well. This is one of those things. Her show yesterday was on child pornography and sexual abuse in this country. Much of the episode brought tears to my eyes and put a pit in my stomach -- and having two precious children made this even more real to me. These predators are everywhere and like me, I'm sure my readers agree that they need to put more resources into catching these creeps and putting them behind bars.

The PROTECT Our Children Act is a bi-partisan bill (meaning that it supported by both Republicans and Democrats alike) and passed in the House 415-2. This Act would give the law enforcement the money they need to be able to hire more officers to save these children. Because that is the problem. We have the technology to be able to catch these guys. We just don't have the manpower. One of the officers that she interviewed said that it eats at him that every night when he goes home and there is a stack of work on his desk that has to wait until tomorrow, that stack is little lives being damaged.

I'm sure you can find clips of the episode on You Tube or Oprah's website. But more importantly I wanted to urge you to write your Senator and ask them to pass this Bill. The Senate recesses on Sept 26 and we really need this bill to pass before then. Here's a link to Oprah's website which provides you the information you need to find your senators and contact them. It also has a letter -- already written -- so we're just talking about a copy/paste here.

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahshow/20080911_tows_predators

And pray for these little babies who need rescued.

No comments: