A few years ago, when we decided to eliminate foods that contained MSG from our diets, one of the most difficult things to find a reasonable substitute for was taco seasoning. You can find packets without MSG in them, but they can cost nearly $2-3 per packet. Now with a little tweaking of a Rachael Ray recipe, I have a wonderful taco seasoning, free of toxins. Our kids handle spicy foods fairly well, so I may not be a good judge of how kids will do with it, but I believe it is close to the heat level of a store bought taco seasoning mix.
Enough to season 2 lbs of meat:
3 T Chili Powder
1 T Cumin
1 T Coriander
1 t. sea salt (this is also a personal thing - add more or less as you like)
Add to browned meat with a little bit of water and simmer. I've also been able to sneak extra veggies into my taco meat by grating a zuchinni, carrot, onion (actually grate this and you get all the juice and flavor and very small bits of onion so no one freaks out), and a clove of garlic and then adding that to the meat and seasoning. Add 1/2 cup of broth (either chicken or beef) or water and simmer until veggies are cooked down and liquid is minimal.
Anyway... if you can get anywhere that sells spices in bulk you can make this a very cost effective seasoning mix.
Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thanks, Rachel! This is one I'm definitely going to try!
Post a Comment